Thursday, June 19, 2008

Before, On the way, and After

I really, REALLY didn't want to put a picture with my profile. If I included no picture, and you didn't already know me, you might imagine me as young and thin and beautiful. With my picture, you might decide you have no interest in reading anything a middle aged fat woman has to say. I considered using my picture from 18 years ago when I was approximately 100 pounds thinner. Or, I could have used a picture from a few years ago when I was even 50 pounds heavier. I have been up and down in weight most of my life. I'm currently on my way back down and hope to never return to my previous or current weight.

For me, being overweight is the result of eating too much. It's not a glandular problem. When I diet and exercise, I lose weight. When I seek temporary pleasure/comfort or stress relief from food, I gain weight. When I was in my late twenties, I lost approximately 80 pounds and was within 10 pounds of where I wanted to be. So, I know HOW to lose weight. Over the next 18 years, I gained about 150 pounds. I was a little slow in realizing that food wasn't giving me comfort or stress relief! It took uncontrolled diabetes to get my attention. I'm currently about 50 pounds down from my highest weight and my blood sugar is under control without medicine. My diet plan is "one healthy food choice at a time". The all or nothing mentality of dieting has been a frequent downfall in my past. Now, I'm trying to make good choices the majority of the time, while still allowing myself an occasional indulgence, but not allowing that intentional indulgence to derail me.

For those readers who are thinking "When is she going to talk about the sin of gluttony and treating our bodies like the temple of the Holy Spirit?", here is my response: Matthew 7:3-5. There is definitely a spiritual aspect to overeating, and the result is very visible for all to see. That visible result may lead some to question "How could he/she have let themselves go?" If you've had those thoughts toward an obese person, I (lovingly) suggest you look inward and consider when and where you've sought comfort in things other than God. What idols do you have in your own life? What things are you doing that are unhealthy, either in the physical or in the spiritual realm?

Make a decision today to seek your comfort in God alone. Make healthy choices, one at a time. Whether the result is weight loss, or a more loving spirit, it's a step in the right direction.

No comments: