Wednesday, June 25, 2008

The battle

A few days ago, I decided that I need to exercise on our treadmill on a regular basis. I want to have a walking routine firmly established before fall when I close the pool. I did walk that night and was pleasantly surprised that my walking stamina had increased since previous "spurts". Swimming in the pool must be doing me some good. Since then, two days have passed when I did not walk on the treadmill. And, I really don't want to today. It could be easy to keep putting it off and let fall/winter creep up on me with no routine in place.

Yesterday, I'm sure I read my Bible in the morning, but I don't think I picked one up later in the day even though I have them strategically located in all of my resting places.

Last night, all I wanted to do was EAT. I've let myself run out of good fruit and crunchy veggies, so snack choices are more limited. I didn't get completely out of control, but I also didn't journal every bite. I'm fighting a mental battle against discouragement because I'm looking at the overwhelming mountain of fat that needs to be removed. I need to refocus my eyes...

Just yesterday I wrote about an endurance marathon versus a sprint. Today, I am mentally fighting the exact enemies that can turn my marathon into just another sprint. It would be so easy to succumb to fatigue and apathy and deceive myself into thinking that a day or two without reading my Bible, a day or two without exercising, a day or two eating what I want, couldn't hurt.

I'm not well prepared for battle. I know my enemies. I watch them approach. I even foolishly allow them to pick at me. Failure to act could allow them to devour me. I need help.

Deuteronomy 20:3-4 He shall say: "Hear, O Israel, today you are going into battle against your enemies. Do not be fainthearted or afraid; do not be terrified or give way to panic before them. For the LORD your God is the one who goes with you to fight for you against your enemies to give you victory.

Psalm 119:114 You are my refuge and my shield; I have put my hope in your word.

Isaiah 40:31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

I started this post early this morning and saved it in draft. It was past 6:00 p.m. by the time I made myself get on the treadmill, but I finally did. I put on a Praise Walk CD and walked to some uplifting scriptural praise songs. It felt great!! It felt like a victory in a battle.

I need to get better prepared for the next battle and quit allowing the enemies to get so close! Gotta go. My Bible is waiting.


No comments: